Saturday, December 11, 2010

Promotional Works

I've recently been thinking about a lot of things. Some related to Disney, some not. And thank God I've got my blog, because if I were to post this on Micechat, I would get torn apart and fed to those trolling websharks. So, I'm going to post my full opinions, and take it for what its worth. Let's get down to business...


- Fans online often complain about how the park is doing too many movie-based attractions lately. From Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, to the new Tangled meet and greet. It is an ok observation. It's true, the rides are based off movies, but here's something people are missing.

You know that iconic symbol of the park? The Castle? Yea. That's Sleeping Beauty's castle. Did you know that when the park was being built, Sleeping Beauty HAD YET to debut in theaters? Walt Didn't use Cinderella's castle in Anaheim, he used SLEEPING BEAUTY. Want to know why? Because he was promoting his new film through the castle.

Now, one can argue that these attractions are coming out after the films debut. True, however if you look at the films the rides are being based off of, then you need to realize that these films are immensely popular. Finding Nemo is the second highest grossing film, behind the recently created Toy Story 3. Look at the two Toy Story (Midway) Mania attractions. Based off of a trilogy that, as a whole, grossed roughly $1,9oo,900,200.

There's also a cry for wanting original based attractions. Attractions such as Pirates of the Caribbean, or Haunted Mansion. As true as this is, people fail to realize that even though Disneyland itself may not be getting anything "original" at the moment, other parks are. Hong Kong is getting three new lands, two of which are completely original ideas. Personally, I'd love to see something original as well as something movie based. I don't care if it is tied into a movie or not. If the attraction is done well, then I'll enjoy it. I'm a fan of Winnie the Pooh, and I'll probably like the Florida's version, or Tokyo's when I get to riding them, however I cant' stand the one we have over here in California because it's so...cheap looking. That's an example of ride lacking some good lovin' on the creative side.

People love seeing stories come to life, and they love the stories even more when their favorite stories allow them to travel through the story. Look at the line for Peter Pan's Flight, or Alice in Wonderland, and try to prove me wrong on that.

All in all, I think people need to realize that Disney is making the right call with creating attractions that fans can recognize and love already from the film. But there's always going to be those fans that refuse to like it JUST because it's movie based. Here's some wise words of wisdom:

GET. OVER. IT.

Now that we've got this out of the way, let's go camp out in front of CarsLand. I wanna ride Radiator Springs Racers.

2 comments:

InfernosCreation said...

i could not agree more Jake. Its scary how similar our views are sometimes lol

InfernosCreation said...

So true!

Donate a buck or two!