Thursday, January 20, 2011

Roaming Their Way To Yesterland

There's been talk that those famous, and classic characters you know and hold close to your heart aren't going to be helping create magical memories as good as they used to. The photopass section of Disney is putting a ban on characters roaming about the parks. There's not going to be anymore Mad Hatter and Alice wandering Fantasyland, riding Storyboook Land, or the Tea Cups with guests. No more Goofy sneaking up behind you on Main Street to take your hat, and...well, goof off with you for a few minutes of your stay at the Kingdom. No more Tigger bounci-well you get the point. The characters aren't going to be around playing in the parks. They're being bound up to selected meet and greets in the park, with selected times you can go see them. Sounds almost like cartoon prison to me.

The whole reason Photopass is doing this, from my understanding of David Koenig's article on Mouse Planet, is that they want more money in that department. They want you to go to the characters so they can take your photo, you can go to Main Street, buy it through them, and go home with a unnatural smile, under a propped up set. Honestly I would much rather have a potential opportunity to get my little sister riding the carousel with Mary Poppins, or even just a shot with her on Main Street playing Musical chairs with characters at the Coke Corner.

Here's a solution, and Disney listen up. I know I'm just another guest who loves going to the park like anyone else, but how hard can it be to hire more people to that department, and have a scheduled time that character A roams here, character B roams there, and so on and so forth. Then, along with a handler (if you don't know what that term is, it is a Cast Member who is basically the security guard for the character on stage.) , the characters can "roam" and the photo pass people can get great candid shots of children rubbin' noses with Tigger, or walking around Tomorrowland with Stitch and Buzz. Granted, you might get someone else that's not a family member or member of your party, however, how many people get in the guests photos while taking shots of friends in front of the castle, or in front of Small World? So personally, I don't see that as a problem. If there's any other problems or instances I'm missing, please, feel free to contact me on my site e-mail: mainstreetjake@yahoo.com

Hopefully this doesn't become the case, and I sure hope that we can see our favorite characters roam the lands they call home.

4 comments:

Big Bro said...

Seriously? I do not like this part of Disneyland at all. They are Photo hounds! We NEVER buy pictures from them as our own turn out better.

I too enjoy the characters roaming around. Goofy spinning in circles because a Main Street Window prop got him dizzy. Pluto sniffing the flowers in the hub with kids. Peter Pan chasing children. The possibilities are endless.

These are the best memories, the unplanned ones. It will be a sad day if this happens.

Anonymous said...

No the answer is to better staff phtographers for their photopass system. Have more energetic photographers that want to create those memories, that want to help create magic with you. One one visit to mickeys house I had my whole family a total of 11 all I wanted is a family picture with Mickey simple right, the photographer was this big fat loser over 40 who clearly did not want to be there. He told me and I quote "I have the better camara, so no need for your camara". Mother fucker I've been a professional photographer since I graduated from high school, trust me I can do a way better job if I had in my hand disposable camara, then your big ass camara that they just show you how to point and shoot! DISNEYLAND listen up! You are killing that beautiful park that many of us hold too close to our harts, the outcome won't be pretty!!!

Anonymous said...

They never confirmed nor denyed this, so don't get so bent out of shape everyone. That's just like the current rumor that Marvel characters are going to be roaming around, Disney never confirmed nor did they deny it, so don't jump to conclusions just yet until it is. And if it does happen, then just stop going. I'm sure Disney won't miss your business!

Unknown said...

Times have changed. Some of you don't know it yet but the kids of today are not the kids of yesteryear. Those of us that work at DL know this. Most characters are attacked by kids and by large groups of adults. Yes this happens more then you know. Being in a set location helps with them being safe. They are protected by the photographer and the host to watch them. Characters DO still roam the streets. So the crap that someone has for having a bad day THE DAY they are there it's not Photopass or the Characters departments problem. Enjoy going into the park or just don't go at all.

Donate a buck or two!