Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Boy Meets World


Now that I'm on Christmas break, I have a bit more free time. All I have to really focus on outside of family and girlfriend is work, and that's only shifts at a time. Today I've got the day off and I'm realizing a lot. It's amazing what you can think of when you just stop to think deeply about it. It's really hit me hard lately that I'm really not a kid any more. I'll always still have that kid-like spirit, but it's just not the same as having that amazing innocence I once did. That phenomenal naivety that made the world appear to be wonderful, when it's realistically colder than it seems. But life's what you make of it, and I still choose to have hope in this dark place. Gotta stay positive.

This past week's really been interesting. My dog passing away, and last night's snafu with a few posters online that said some unnecessary things, it's just been raw emotions lately. I've snapped a little bit and gotten relatively rude, and for those reading this that I've affected, I do apologize.

Earlier today I was flipping through DirecTv, and saw that MTV2 had an episode of Boy Meets World playing. Funny enough, I hate MTV, but midday they're showing an episode of one of my childhood shows that I used to faithfully watch. This episode had to have been a God-sign, because it was all about accepting change, and learning to just let things go and move on with the future. It nearly had me tear up, because it's exactly what I needed to see. I could relate to having to let go of the past and accept the reality of growing up and becoming a real man, and not just a boy anymore.

This show really needs to be a visual guide for television script writers today. Boy Meets World was one of those shows that literally showed life through a camera. Now that I'm close to Corey's age, I can REALLY understand what the characters were going through, and can easily relate. My question is this: Why is there not shows like this anymore? Why do we have 'reality' shows like 16 and Pregnant, and fictional teen soap operas like Secret Life of the American Teenager, and then the unfortunately glammed up Disney channel with concepts that couldn't be any more foreign to the common teenager?
(Disney, listen up: I can guarantee that no one is a secret life pop star, and no one is a Wizard living in New York. Get back to Lizzie McGuire and Even Stevens-esque shows, PLEASE.) The world needs more depth. We need to THINK. We need to UNDERSTAND and COMPREHEND the real reasons of our emotions and what we're going through. Candy coating and for lack of better words, babying us isn't going to help us progress and cope with life.

With the way entertainment is run today, we're constantly in front of a screen. From Computer, to TV, to iPhone, to tablet, there's a screen with some sort of visual activity there. Shows like Boy Meets World gave the right doses of drama with comedy, mixed with a heavy dose of great realism to it. It was like watching your best friend go through whatever issue it may be that week. From girlfriend fights, to failing a test, or sneaking out late to hang with your best friend, it was all things kids did and still do. Why can't we help people with fictionally realistic stories now, JUST like this show did back in the 90's?


No comments:

Donate a buck or two!