Sunday, February 26, 2012

Dancing The Years Away

It's a pain thinking so deeply so late at night sometimes. You end up staying up thinking of things that go from one thing to another and then another. Tonight, I'm thinking about age and romance. You see, my girlfriend has a photo of her a few years ago with her grandparents. Unfortunately, her granddad passed away a while back, and the anniversary of his death is very close to this time of year. Her grandmother (and I consider mine as well) has a hard time with this time of year, because her love is no longer with her. I mean, this is a couple that danced in the kitchen, and grandpa kissed grandma on the cheek just because. Brought her flowers out of the blue, and wrote poems and stories for her. A real life Carl and Ellie. And it got me thinking when I saw the photo, that there's nothing more in the world than pure romance like that. With divorce rates so high, and young couples just sleeping around and catching who knows what STD, and not even knowing names of their sleeping partner of the Friday night, it really drives me away from anything like that, and more towards that pure romance and undying love.

I'm only nineteen, but I'm tired of hearing my friends talk about what binge party they went to, and how many times they had sex with random people. That isn't fun to me. I'd rather go out to a quiet dinner and then go back to my girlfriends or my house with our families and watch a movie together. And I want to dance in the kitchen. I want to be just like my girlfriends grandparents and have a love that lasts 50, 60,70 years. And when we get older, I still want to come home to her with flowers, and while we cook dinner, take her by the hand and slow dance. I want to just hold her hand as we read a book on the couch. I want to be on our knees together before bed praying together as a couple. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but it seems to me that the old fashion way of doing things brings less drama, and less complications to things when you follow the rules and guidelines set before our generations.

I'm going to bed now, and I'm thinking of how amazing it is that I have people like my girlfriend's grandparents to look up to as a model for my own relationship with their granddaughter. It's reassuring knowing there's still strong love out there in the world. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this! Great Blog!

Anonymous said...

This is one of my very favorite of your blogs! I sent it to my grandma, and pretty much everyone I know. She loved it, and so did my whole family! You're an amazing writer, love. Keep it up!

Donate a buck or two!