Tuesday, July 6, 2010

It's The Man In The Sky....

Just got done watching The Invention of Lying. The people watching this with me totally missed the boat on the point the movie (In my opinion) was making. In case you didn't know, the premise of the movie is this:
the world is always honest. Whether or not it's nice, they're honest. A man who's down on his luck, figures out how to lie, and he basically becomes a "prophet".

My friend asked "is this just a pun of Christianity?" I don't think it is, no. Sure, they reference a "man in the sky", and the ten commandments are written on Pizza Hut boxes, but if you REALLY look at the context, and how everything plays out, it's more or less how the world views Christianity. They see it as theres a dude up in the sky, who decides good and bad, and when people die. They see absurd stuff as I've got only 3 chances to mess stuff up, but I'll still be ok, and can get up to my "mansion in the sky".

I can understand why some Christians would get upset over seeing something reference and humiliate it. But really, what they should take from this is that non Christians are being misinformed of the religion, and need to be taught how the relationship with God actually is, and they need to learn that people are lost, and think like this, and as Christians, need to direct them to the actual reality of how Christianity REALLY is, and not the twisted ideas that have been passed around the local coffee shops.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea this movie had this undertone to it. Now I'm more intrigued with watching it. Thanks for sharing!

Donate a buck or two!