Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Nothing is Sound

It's an interesting blog title, especially for this topic, but with Switchfoot, a lot of their songs can relate a lot to life in general. Nothing is Sound. What does that mean? Well, one definition of that is the adjective version: "free from injury, damage, defect, disease, etc.; in good condition; healthy". So with that, nothing is free from damage. That's especially relevant to tonight. 






Tonight I was in my first car accident. 










I'm obviously fine, since I'm blogging this, but I'm definitely a bit shaken up about it. To explain what happened, I was on my way home from Chick Fil A. I had a 12-8 shift today, and was about 10 minutes away from my house on a road I consistently drive. I had some music on, singing along and keeping happy. I tend to get some drivers of lower to the ground cars flash their high beams at me thinking I have mine on, which isn't the case. Well, tonight this guy did the same, but within a split second of doing that, he swerved into my lane and side-swiped me. It pushed me off the road and I was able to keep my cool about it, and not over correct myself which in the case I did, would have resulted in a rollover. However, I kept steady and maintained control. 


The gentleman ends up crashing into a row of a vineyard on my side of the road. After I stopped, I got out and checked to see if he was ok, which he thankfully was. After calling my mom and the police, everyone comes out and we get the stuff settled. 


The guy that hit me? Yea...he was DRUNK.



The guy's in jail, my car's in the junkyard, and I'm here at my desk alive. I can't help but thank God for being alive right now. If you look at the photos, you'll realize like I did that if I was a mere second behind the time where I was on the road, this had a high chance of being a head on collision. I was beyond lucky tonight. Call it karma, luck, guardian angels. Call it what you want, I don't care. But this was definitely amazing to see that I was THAT close to either a major injury, or death. And after more than a dozen texts, and A LOT of comments/tweets/wall posts later, I love that my friends are quick to hope I'm ok. I have some of the best people in my life, and I can't be any more thankful than I am for that. 


And as a final close to this post, people, PLEASE do not drink and drive. This is the effects of it. And this isn't even the worse part. Sure it's busted car, but you can't put a price on a life. You can always buy another car. I don't try to post about the cliches of 'don't drink' or 'don't have sex before marriage' because there's always those people that overdo it. But since I've had to deal with that topic and the near-death of myself tonight, I just want to leave it at that. Just don't drink and drive. It's not worth it. Pay for a cab. 

2 comments:

Disneyland Obsession said...

I for one am glad that everything turned out ok. Lets hope that nothing shows up tomorrow for you or the other driver. And lets hope that the insurance picks up the price of a new car.
Good Luck with everything and keep us up to date on the goings on.

Anonymous said...

WOW! That's crazy, I'm can't imagine how grateful you must be to still be alive. You'll be shaken up a bit for a little while. That's how I was after my first accident. I was scared to get back into my car. Every time I pass the intersection I was hit in I remember it vividly. Glad to hear your ok. :)

Donate a buck or two!