Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Late Night TV - Bring Back The Classics, Maaaaaan.

Lately I've been tivo-ing the re-aired episodes of Doug on TeenNick late at night, and watching them when I get the chance. Thankfully my youngest sister knows good entertainment, and loves watching them. But recently, I thought "why doesn't Disney do this? The 90's were prime for their TV lineups for kids." 

From Even Stevens, to their live action, made-for-tv films (which are infinitely better in quality than what they make now), and even the commercial specials (5-minute movie surfer segments, anyone?) were awesome. Nowadays we have these shows that have no reality to them. Kids living on a cruise ship, teen by day, pop star by night, etc. It's not very relatable with kids day because really, who does either of those? 

Lizzie McGuire and Even Steven was like watching my friends life play out on screen. It was real. It was what any kid on any given day was dealing with. Why can't we have shows like this for the kids younger than us? What's the reason Disney went with 'dream' shows like Hannah Montana and Shake It Up? I don't know, but I'd actually love to find out. 

Overall, I think Disney would really benefit greatly from having either a channel for ALL things old school Disney, or creating an afternoon, or late night summer slot for the classic shows, and do a show every few months, and run one, or a few episodes a day, 5 days a week. If they DID decide to go with running their own Channel, I think they should not only touch on the 90s shows we loved, but go all the way back to the glory days of when Walt had a hand in the Television realm, and showcase the old World of Color, True Life Adventures, and animated shorts they made. I'm pretty certain it'd work, and if I'm wrong, then I definitely want to see more shows on DVD/Blu-Ray. 

No comments:

Donate a buck or two!