Thursday, March 1, 2012

Post High School Facebook

I think as a kid my age, living in this time is one of the oddest times to grow up. Don't get me wrong, I think there's a lot of times in the past that have been 'hard' or 'difficult' on teens. But with the time that I'm growing up in, it seems like it's one of the harder times. The reason I think that is because we have a lot of pressure from not just a few areas, but in nearly every area. We have the pressure to have an awesome online presence. Pressure to dress cool and act cooler. Pressure to do well academically/musically/athletically. Pressure to have a physically rocking body. It's all a giant setup of spinning plates, with an inevitable toppled plate every so often.

Tonight I deleted a lot of people off facebook. That site is very interesting anymore. When Mark Zuckerberg first created it, I don't think he realized how much he'd change human emotions towards knowing what people are doing, who is friends with who, and actually having physical references (Friends List) to back it up. I'm one of those people that doesn't care if you get mad at me over deleting you off the site. I guess because I look at it as just that: A site. It's nothing more than a screen with typed updates from people you WANT to know about, just as if they were really saying it (for the most part). I'm tired of 400+ people knowing what I'm up to. I'm cutting it down to who I really want to see my posts and photos, and even then, people are being sifted into lists of who I want what shared with.

As I've grown up with this site, I've learned that I don't care about my social status online. I can stand with my head held high and be above the socialites class of "who's friends with who". I don't need to be buddies with people just to make me look cool or feel popular. I'm having my tight knit group of Facebook Friends and not just any joe I met through a friend at another friend's Christmas Party.

Anyways, to finish this up, My facebook is going to be reserved for the elite few that I want to share my life with. You want to know what else I'm up to? Read my blog and share it with others. The posts are more of my thoughts on topics, and not my personal life anyways...

No comments:

Donate a buck or two!