Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Son Of Man

"Though there's no one there to guide you 
No one to take your hand
But with faith and understanding 

You will journey from boy to man " 

Tonight as I work on homework I had some old music on spotify playing. The ever classic Veggie Rocks album. If you're unfamiliar with what I'm talking about, check it out here: Veggie Rocks On Spotify. It's a great rock album of Veggie Tale songs from when I grew up as a kid. But as I think I'm rocking out in my own little world, my mom adds a status to her Facebook..

Well, it looks like my rock show extends past my bedroom door. Anyway, the post grew to 20-something comments between friends, and as it did, I thought back to the day when Disney's Tarzan came out. I was a hyper six year old with an addiction to anything X-Games related (same summer Tony Hawk landed the first 900 on a skateboard nine days after Tarzan was in theaters). As a kid, I was addicted to Tarzan. He was my hero of the Jungle. I wanted to surf trees like he did (tried and failed..), and even back then the music of Tarzan really got to me. It was this edgy, wild sound that I really thought was awesome, and little did I know at the time that a future favorite artist of mine did the soundtrack. Mom bought the soundtrack and after playing, and replaying the disc, I LOVED the song Son Of Man. It was "my" song. 

But now that I'm older, and can really understand the lyrics, it really has a lot of depth to my life. Especially the part of the song with "there's no one there to guide you, no one to take your hand". The past say, five to six months I've really realized that. I'm going from this: 

To this: 


It's crazy to think about a concept like this, but everyone grows up. I think it hits me a little hard (or so I think) because I'm such a big Disney fan, and a kid at heart. So seeing this on film as a favorite story of mine really resonates with me. I'm not a kid anymore. I don't have anyone holding my hand, and I need to take a vine and start to swing out to my own branch of the jungle now. Breaking that down to normal terms, I have to pay bills and taxes, I have my own responsibilities. I have a wonderful girlfriend who will someday be my wife. I have college and my future job. It's all so crazy and mind bending to think about, but at the same time, there's this calming peace to it all that makes me feel like it'll all be ok. In time things will transfer from being young Tarzan to adult Tarzan. It's just tough to transition at times. But it will work out. It always does. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have such a gift for writing, love! Keep it up!:)
-Your Jami

Donate a buck or two!