Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Yo Ho Let's Go!

Hey look! It's me!

I know this show has been around for a while now, but I just now have gotten around to seeing an episode of it. I really am impressed with it. I was expecting something like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (horrible animation, and not using classic characters to their advantage and full potential for a childrens show.), but it really did exceed my expectations.


The show itself is really well animated. The thing I don't like about Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or Winnie the Pooh is that the classic hand drawn characters were taken from their original beautiful state, and transformed into a very plastic design. To me it lost a lot of heart when it was animated that way. But with Jake and The Neverland Pirates, it's got a new 3D style, but also with a hand drawn feel. It's almost a synergy of the two which I can definitely appreciate.

Not only is it presented well visually, but the actual stories and setup is more traditional mixed with the educational feel of today's kid shows. By traditional, I mean the cartoons I grew up on (Goof Troop, Recess, etc). Each episode has mini episodes within it, and just like Recess or Goof Troop, fades in with a Title, then fades out to start the show. I felt it gave the show a closer style to what I grew up with. Not only that, but the story has better scripted stories, that make you actually care for what is going on.

What's really cool is Disney has a pretty good cast on this show:
Colin Ford (Jake) - Played Young Nick in Push, and some other small TV spots. (New Teen heartthrob in a few years?)
Madison Pettis  (Izzy) - Roles in The Game Plan, Seven Pounds, and Phineas and Ferb (I can see her going a long way in Hollywood with the right roles)
Jonathan Morgan Heit (Cubby) - Acted in Date Night, Valentine's Day, and Bedtime Stories (new face of family comedy?)
oh, and some guys that have been around for a bit:

David Arquette (Skully) - Casted in Never Been Kissed, Scream, and The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lava Girl
Corey Burton (Captain Hook) - voiced in many video games, and television shows.

All in all, I think this show will be around for a while. I've heard that it is now the most popular show for the target age range (boys, ages 2-5), and I hope it stays that way. Even my little sister (still in that age range) loves the show.

Now back to watching these pirates 'yo-ho-go!'...

No comments:

Donate a buck or two!