Friday, March 18, 2011

Learning School, But Not Life.

As a guy that's been in public, private, and homeschooling, I've been able to get around and see different styles of how things operate and run. The inner gears that make a style of school tick and run. In short, the politics of it all. I might blog later about public and private school, but right now, I want to focus on homeschooling. For those that know, I'm not a huge fan of school right now, because I'm at home, with free time when I'd rather be out at a school, cramming to get essays and homework turned in, with little to no free time, but God dealed me these cards, and I make the best of it.

Thankfully I get invited to parties and school functions by my friends back at BCHS. In fact, next Friday night I'll be at the powderpuff game supporting my girlfriend and then we'll be hitting up the Sadie Hawkins dance after the game. But what I find entertaining is making fun of this whole homeschooling deal. I'm a part of some organization that gets homeschooled kids together to science labs, or creative writing, and...

...wait for it...

...Proms and Homecomings.


I got an e-mail the other day with an invite to go to the annual Formal dance party the organization puts together. Now to keep other people out of this, I've blocked out names addresses and such, but this is what I got in my e-mail.
My comments on this e-mail are in green.

FORMAL TIME FOR 9th-12th GRADE HOMESCHOOLERS
Hi everyone, it is that time of year again. Formal Time!
This year will be a little different. We are going back to an era when ladies were ladies and gentlemen were real gentlemen and they both acted like it!
It's
Dancing Under the Stars 40's Style
Get out your best ,most conservative evening wear, your dance card and come have a blast.
(dance card will be provided)
What's a dance card? Do I have to apply for it before dancing?
Do I show my dance card to the girl I wish to dance with? And if she accepts my dance card, is there a transaction of some sort? punch a hole in it? Scan it? gold sticker it?
What happens if I get denied?
We will be serving a sit-down dinner under the stars and enjoying a night of food, friends and fun.
Our most important guest will be our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! We will have an ice breaker with an appetizer.
 Then we will praise and honor the One who gave
us the freedom to join together. The night will keep moving
40's style with a fun game, then dinner will be served. While dinner is being served, we will enjoy a
fun video of days gone by and not-so-gone-by!
not so gone by...does that mean we're celebrating today?
To keep the night moving, there will be give-aways (used erector set? deck of cards from the 'field trip' to the Grand Canyon?), prizes, games, ping-pong, air hockey, basketball, billiards, volleyball and dance-card dancing. (again with the dance card dancing! I swear this sounds like a Fall Out Boy song title.)
1- 5x7 photo will be provided with each paid attendee
(this means they're using up the extra rolls of film from the grand canyon field trip)
It will be held at the XXXXXX's house 
 Saturday May 21, 2011 
Considering the fact that the party will be held at the XXXXXX's home, there are a few things everyone should be aware of:
First and foremost our house is the Lord's, and everything we do here we try to do to honor our Savior.
That said, here are the rules.........which we feel will help us honor God with all our soul, mind, strength and heart.
There will be NO:
foul language
dirty dancing
public display of affection
mini skirts
strapless or skinny straps on dresses (unless covered with a wrap that is worn AT ALL TIMES)
overly tight clothes
under garments showing
backless clothing
cleavage
vulgar words or pictures on clothing
rudeness
over-all disrespect for each other
(needless to say, if Charlie Sheen and his girlfriends do it, you can't.)
There WILL be:
Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness and self-control, along with a H-U-G-E amount of fun!
(I'm calling them out. Plagiarism on the Bible!) 
I am sure there will be some who think these guidelines are a bit over the to (a bit? I'm a pretty modest guy, but dang...); if that is your view, then this formal IS NOT for you.
Don't waste your time or ours.  If you still want to attend and do not follow the guidelines our family has in place, you will
be asked to spend the rest of the night inside (give me a deck of cards and a glass full of water, and I'll show you a better time inside doing card tricks than the whole party will have combined.), will be asked to wear a t-shirt over your outfit, or told to leave.
This is not a joke, and shouldn't be taken lightly. All who know us are aware of the high standard we
have when it comes to functions at our (the Lord's) house. We are not perfect, but we are to be like Christ more and more each day.
If you have doubts about an outfit.......don't wear it. Or you may send a picture of yourself in the outfit to me and I will either "ok" it or give "thumbs down"(can you say 'hot or not'?).
This goes for any person who accompanies you. We encourage no boy friend/ girl friend relationships here, but if you do bring your "friend"(just a hunch here, but I think they're not big on teen relationships.) he or she will be required to follow ALL of the above rules. It will be your responsibility (the home schooler) to inform your friend of the guidelines.
If you are interested in attending, email me and I will send you the acknowledgement form. You can send the paperwork back along with your check.
The cost will be $45.00 per person. (Remember, that is a meal, 5x7 photo, snacks and attendance to the formal)
 There will be no ticket sales at the door All tickets must be bought in advance by May 14th.
Sorry, no refunds.
Parents, I would like to have chaperones for the whole night (even if you can only help part of the time).
 If you are willing to handle this job I will need to have 6-8 parents who will agree to chaperone at a certain station and refrain from congregating with other adult chaperones. (this is what got me. You want parents to help out...with homeschool kids. Who are stereotypically undeniably antisocial...and yet you want them to REFRAIN from CONGREGATION with other adults. You're asking them to come watch a collection of socially awkward boys and girls, for a full night, without talking to other parents encompassing the rest of the dance floor. That is insane. No thanks.)
Dinner will be provided for your service.
 Please RSVP ASAP so I can pass on that info to the other families. If you are willing to help, email
me and I will send you the list of stations and times that I will need covered.
This will be a blessed night that could provide godly, uplifting memories. Please come and join us.

I'm a Christian, but I'm not strict like this. I think families like this fail to realize that Jesus hung out with the non Christians who swore, had PDA, and excessive skin showing. And that's what I base my life off of. I hang out with everyone. I don't care what you believe. If we can find a common ground on sports, movies, music, whatever it may be, we're good. I'm not gonna judge because it's not my place. If you want to live your life one way, go for it. It's your life, not mine.
But this not only gives off a bad image, it just makes Christians look really pious and uppity. I can't help but make fun of it because it's so absurd. I think Christians really need to realize that we can't be Bible thumpers who damn people to hell because they don't believe in what we do. Not everyone is going to believe the same thing. If they did, then we'd have a utopia, and that's never going to happen.


And as a final note, I think homeschoolers miss out on life at times, because some don't really get out. To live in the world, you don't need to be of it, but at least see what's out there.
It's funny how some miss the boat on things.

5 comments:

Austen said...

Why am I always the one to comment on your posts? haha

Anyway, I agree with you! I've always said that! I never bring up religion to people. Somehow, someway, it always just comes up. And then I tell them what I believe and they tell me what they believe. I don't force Christianity on anyone. By my Christian influence they see what Christianity is about. A lot of my non-Christian friends point out the worst Christians, videos on Youtube about CRAZY Christian people, and such. I tell them they aren't real Christians. Real Christians don't go to church, then go home and say: "Everyone who isn't Christian is going to hell." So not true. Or "Mexicans/Arabs are wrong, they need to leave America." That's called judging and racism. And that's just one example. There are billions of others. Ugh. So much fake Christians these days giving Christianity a bad name. But like you said, that Jesus was around 'bad' people too. If people did a little research they would see that prostitution was in his family. (Cousin? I think?) And Jesus loved them! Anyway, rant over. Have a nice day. haha :)

Anonymous said...

I was quietlylaughingtomyself during a LOT of that email, though I was also deeply troubled. It's hard to think people with that mindset really exist.

Christians, and practicers of all religions, often have good intentions, but others are truly truly misguided. It's a shame really.

I've given up on religion for now- raised a good christian boy, but my parents made it clear to me that I had the freedom to find my own faith. One day I hope to read the entirety of various holy books and see if there's something that draws me, but for now I'm content knowing that there are good and amazing people in this world, the universe in unfathomably beautiful, and not all questions can be answered :)

You hit the nail on the head with your response.

-16yo

PS I cringe thinking about how that prom will turn out xp

Greg said...

The list of rules seems to apply mostly to girls, so at least they're being historically accurate. I wonder if the ladies in attendance will be be cooking, having babies and washing clothing at the party?

The whole thing seems a bit ridiculous, I admit, but why bash them in such a public way? How "Christian" was that decision? You risk being shunned completely by these people by posting this online with your scathing comments, which I'm sure doesn't phase you, but you also could hurt a lot of feelings for absolutely no reason. I think you could have scoffed and deleted the email.

Red Leader said...

Greg,

my mentality is, make fun of one, make fun of all. Even myself at times. Heck, I publicly posted a video of myself doing the cinnamon trick.

My comments may have been 'scathing', but like I said, I make fun of all. It just happened to be the turn of homeschooling.

And regards to being shunned? Not the first time it's happened. People get hurt because jokes get thrown their way. Many people's backbone's have gone soft, and can't take the heat.

How 'Christian' it was of me? If anything it was more of a challenge for people to be more real with the world than stick to shelling up, and avoiding the real world.

It's a tough spot to be called on, because the 'how Christian is someone' card varies by opinion.

If I offended anyone, I'm sorry you can't take my humor. It's all out of jest and fun.

Anonymous said...

Personally, it urks me that so many "Christians" pursue the rules side of Jesus. Yes, Jesus came to be our Lord, but do they remember that He's also our savior? The Law was made null and void when Jesus defeated death on the cross. The Law had a purpose during the time in which it had authority, but Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice, therefore making the practices of the Law ineffective.
I understand where the hosts of this event are coming from: they want all attenders to be modest. However, going to the point where there's no grace isn't being Christ-like at all.

Donate a buck or two!