Friday, March 4, 2011

The Taken Stare

Went down to the store today to pick up a few liters of Arizona Iced Tea, some snacks and a cheap book or two. Ended up finding a book on video game teams, and how to manage blogs on the business side. What can I say, I'll read almost anything that's remotely entertaining. Anyways, as I get into the car, this Suzuki with Jason Derulo's 'Whatcha Say' blasting on near full volume stops and waits for me to shut my door so they can pull into the parking spot next to me. As I glance back to see what the noise was, the girl in the passenger seat was staring right at me. Not just the 'will you PLEASE move? I need to go buy the new edition of People Magazine and hair supplies, and you're really annoying me by not moving any faster' stare. No, not that stare. It was the 'he can take his time because I can't help but stare' look. My sister in the backseat said this, by the way, not myself. I personally found it a little odd that she was staring at me, since I was in ripped jeans, a greasy tee shirt, without combed hair, and my glasses on. But to each their own.

As I shut my door, plug in my iPod in and search for David Gray's 'Babylon', my sister is in the backseat talking.
"watch this Jake"
"What?"
"She's going to do a double take. Watch. Right now"
The girl looks back over her shoulder at me.
"I TOLD YOU!"
"haha you're crazy to have that timed so well."
"She's...wait, yea. No, she's coming back to her car!"
(I'm still trying to find the song, and reply to a text before I drive the three minutes back home)
As the girl comes back to the car to get her lip gloss (according to my sister), she looks at me, I make eye contact, smile, she looks away.
"Jake she's totally into you."
"Yea, I figured after all you're saying."
"JAKE!"
"WHAT!?"
"oh nothing, her boyfriend just gave you the look."
"hahaha what look?"
"The 'stop looking at her or I'll kill you' look"
"She's cute, but I'm not remotely interested."
"I know, but that was funny!"
*song starts*
...'friday night and I'm going nowhere, all the lights are changing from red to green'...
"Jake, we need to do stuff like this more often."
"Go to the store?"
"No, watch girls watch you. It's fun"
"Uh..sure."

The adventures you can have when you  notice all the fine details of something so normal as a trip to a store to get iced tea.

1 comment:

Greg said...

One of my friends was a waitress at Hooters and I LOVED watching the guys react to her, and vicariously ME when she would stop in to visit me before she went to work. hah hah "That guy was just checking you out." "That guy was checking you out." "That guy was staring so hard he almost broke his neck off checking you out.". And they gave me the "luckiest guy in the World" look.

Donate a buck or two!