Sunday, March 6, 2011

Rango, travel west to the theaters, amigos.

Alright, I know this is a little later than some expected, but better late than never, right? I went and saw Rango last night here in town, as I tweeted. So some wanted to know my thoughts on the film, and I'll gladly give my opinion to those that want to read it. If you don't want to read this, because I will be explaining points of the film, then skip through this, and read another one of my posts. I can use the views here on the site. :)

Rango, for those of you who don't know the plot, is about a thespian chameleon who falls out of a moving car, lands smack dab in the middle of the scorching desert, only to wind up in the town of, you guessed it, 'Dirt'.
Well, as he gets there, people start asking who he is, and he comes up with the stage name of 'Rango' (watch closely for 'hecho en Durango'), playing it off as a big bad killer. Soon enough he becomes the sheriff of Dirt, and then problems arise (Jake the snake comes along as one of the villains, and the town is running dry of water). There's the girl that doesn't like him at the beginning of the film, but falls for him at the end, the 'good guy' is really a bad guy, and so on.

It becomes a rather predictable film, in regards to the plot, however, the overall film was still enjoyable, and just entertaining to watch. Johnny Depp voices Rango very well, and adds a lot of good humor ("I want a urine sample of everyone in here, and a latte', don't mix the two.") to the show.

Visually it was pretty fun to watch, and I always dig a animated film that can find ways to use normal everyday objects us humans use and turn them into something totally different animals can use (mailboxes for houses, bats as a plane, or a roly poly bug as a golf ball.), because to me, that's really creative, and takes some talent to find other uses of them in a film.

I think overall it's a film that kids will definitely enjoy, and same goes for the parents (definitely some good 'adult' humor in this one too). It's not the best animated film, and for Gore Verbinski's (previous director of the first three Pirates of the Caribbean films) first animated film, it's really not bad by any stretch. If I had to rate it on a 5 star scale, I'd give it a 3 and a 1/2. Just because it could have been a solid 20 minutes shorter, and some other scenes added/cut, but overall, it's pretty solid.

Now travel west, amigos, and see the film of the young hero, named.....Rango.
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sweet! Thanks for the input Jake. I'll have to check this flick out sometime soon!

Donate a buck or two!