Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sunshine State Darkens With No Grad Nights

According to Screamscape, Walt Disney World is ending their grad nights after this year. I haven't heard a reason as to why exactly, but I hope it's a good one. It seems like Disney World has this automatic hype built up about it as the biggest and best, but with the transportation crashes, lack of grad nights, exclusive seasonal parties you have to fork tons of money over for, it doesn't seem like the best to me, and I've yet to go there.

With that said, I think Grad night is a great concept. Get recently graduated teens to the parks to celebrate their graduation with Disney style, all night long. But from the previous (and by previous, I mean YEARS ago) stories I've heard from my mom, her friends, and even my Grandma who graduated in the 60's, they had to actually DRESS UP for this event. Guys had to wear ties, girls had to wear dresses, etc. I wish they'd still do that. Make Disneyland like an extended Prom.

Another thing, what's with anyone can go? Last year I was down at the Resort for the premier of World of Color (June 11th), and as I waited in line to be the first to get tickets for the show, I was talking to teens my age who came all the way from Hawaii for Grad Night. Part of that is really cool. But honestly, I feel that it crowds up the park and loses its exclusivity to the locals. Why can't it be just for the Southern Cali kids, and the Orange County Florida kids (WDW)?

I may just be ignorant to Disney's real reasons for the way they run grad night, and I probably am. It just seems easier at times when things are kept simple. 

3 comments:

Austen said...

According to Disney, this is the reason: "With more leisure guests visiting in the springtime, it’s become challenging to schedule special events during April and May. Instead, graduates will have new opportunities to celebrate with us in the parks at more flexible and convenient times." - (source) http://bit.ly/eLicdN

Red Leader said...

Thanks Austen for finding that. I quick posted that between classes, so I didn't totally do all my research. :) haha

brisivesind said...

oh yay I got it!
ha.
just so you know, your post on facebook is extremely misleading..
and does that Austen guy work at John's Incredible Pizza?
haha I know I'm a creeper.. but I asked him about his name when I was there, and I've never seen it spelled with an E other than him.
Except did you know his dad wanted to spell it with a y? I thought that was fruity :)
k I'm done now.
I enjoy reading your blog, Jakey.

Donate a buck or two!